Tenants FAQ’s

How can I find a Property to Rent with Asset Property Management N.E. Ltd

The easiest way is to either call the office on 01429 223334 or by email on [email protected] or pop into register your details. Call into the office may be better If you are looking for something unusual or specific. Alternatively, you can also visit our website www.assetprop.co.uk at any time to view our available properties or www.onthemarket.co.uk

Please note, for security and privacy we do not advertise all our properties with ‘To-Let’ boards.

How do I arrange to view a property I am interested in

You can arrange to view a property by phone 01429 223334 or by using the ‘Contact Us’ Form either on our website or via www.onthemarket.co.uk We’ll then arrange a convenient appointment to meet you at the property. We can arrange evening viewings to suit.

If I like a property, what happens next ?

You may reserve the property with a holding fee to take the property off the market whilst the paperwork is completed. This will ensure that no further applications are carried out before yours,
If your application is unsuccessful for whatever reason this would be refunded
We would then ask you to complete our Application Form, this is available online, or at our office.
On the Application Form we will need your personal information and details of your employer and previous Landlord. Contact details and other information needed to process your Rental Application.

Does everybody need to complete an Application Form ?

All adult applicants must complete an Application Form. If the property is being let on a Joint Tenancy such as a family or a couple, we need both your details. Children living at the address should be named on the form. We cannot grant a Tenancy to anyone under 18 years of age due to Legal Restrictions.

Security Checks / I.D

Everyone needs to supply us with I.D, this can be a Passport, Utility Bill, Benefit Letter – we must have something with your Name and Address on it. This will be used in conjunction with your Application to undertake References and Credit Checks.

What if I have a poor Credit Score or CCJ’s

If you have a poor Credit Score or CCJ’s then please tell us as we will find this out when we process your Application and this may result in your Application being rejected. CCJ’s and a poor Credit Score do not necessarily mean you are a bad tenant or a poor payer – we treat each Application individually.

Do I need a Guarantor

On some occasions a Guarantor will be required to back up your application. This would usually be if you haven’t let a property before, or if you’re under 21 years of age, a student, not working full time and not supported by the DSS / DWP / CAB. If you are offered the opportunity to support your application by supplying a guarantor, your Guarantor must be in full time employment, a resident in the UK for the last 3 years and be a Homeowner.

What happens after you do a Credit Score check and obtain References ?

When we have obtained your References and Credit Score we will then put forward your Application to the Landlord. If they are happy then we will contact you and arrange for you to pay the Deposit and Rent (if required in advance) and also sign the relevant paperwork.

When can I move in ?

Depending on how long it takes to obtain References etc and you paying the monies due this could only take a few days, normally it is around a week.

Tenancy Agreement info.

A Tenancy Agreement is a legally binding document which details the obligations and responsibilities of the Tenant and the Landlord. All our Tenancies are STA’s or Short-hold Tenancy Agreement’s which are recommended and compiled by UKALA, initially these will be for six months.

Why do I need to pay a Deposit

As an Agent, we need Insurance (such as a deposit) that if a Tenant doesn’t meet their obligations within the Tenancy Agreement such as maintaining the cleanliness and condition of the property, then this deposit may cover some of the issues.
A deposit usually around Month’s rent is required on all our properties. This will be held with a Government backed ‘Deposit Protection Account’. We use the Deposit Protection Service.
If you are having issues finding a Deposit we do work with closely with the local Councils and also the Citizens Advice Bureau where they may be able to you help with what is called a ‘Paper Bond’. To be eligible for this you must be a Member of the ‘Good Tenants Scheme’
Landlords are sometimes willing to take a Deposit in instalments, however this is down to the Landlord and will vary for each property.

Can I have pets in the property

Pets can sometimes be allowed in our managed properties. In all circumstances the Tenant must gain permission in writing from the Agent or the Landlord prior to a pet being introduced to the property.

If the Landlord accepts a Pet at the property, we may charge an additional Deposit for ‘deep-clean payment’ to cover additional damage, cleaning and fumigation at the end of the Tenancy.

What about Insurance ?

We always strongly recommended Contents Insurance.
Tenants should review any existing policies when renting a property as some standard insurance products may place restrictions on cover for a rented property.

What about any Repairs and Maintenance problems ?

A Landlord, in very general terms, has a legal responsibility to repair the structure and exterior of the property, this includes drains, gutters and external pipes; to keep in working order the installations for the supply of gas, electricity and water; and, for the installations for the provision of space and water heating.

The Landlord also has other legal responsibilities relating to the safety of such items as gas, electricity and (possibly) furnishings as well as the general standard or fitness of the property for habitation.

A Tenant has an implied covenant (responsibility) to act in a “Tenant-like manner”. This means to report any issues / repairs promptly, to take reasonable steps to ensure that neither the Tenant nor guests damage the property, its fixtures and fittings,  to do the minor day to day things any home-occupier would normally do e.g. replace light bulbs, fit a new battery in a smoke or CO2 detector, tighten an odd screw which has come loose on a door handle,  to keep the property reasonably warm and aired to help prevent condensation or freezing of pipes,  to leave the property secure when absent from it,  keep the garden and other areas reasonably tidy and free from rubbish and water flowing through pipes to prevent stagnant water issues.

What happens if I want to end my Tenancy ?

The Law relating to ending a Tenancy is relatively straightforward as long as the right timescales and procedures are followed, along with the use of the correct format of notice. It is recommended that you end your agreement properly if you want to leave. If you don’t you may still be liable to pay Rent, even after you’ve moved out. To do this, you must give us written notice. You may not be able to end the agreement early if you have signed for a tenancy for a fixed period.

Can I end my Tenancy early ?

There are only limited ways in which this can happen. The Landlord cannot Make the tenants move out, nor can the Tenants lawfully walk away from their obligations within the contract. Either party might request of the other that a formal “surrender” of the Tenancy be allowed. It would then be up to all parties to agree the terms and conditions of such a surrender. This might include some financial compensation for inconvenience or costs incurred.

What happens if I don’t follow the correct procedure ?

Walking away or posting the keys through the letterbox is called ‘abandonment’ and will not end your Tenancy Agreement. Your Agreement with the Landlord will continue even though you’ve left the Property and the Landlord can continue to charge you Rent, so you’re likely to build up Rent arrears: if your Agreement is fixed term, you can be charged Rent until the term ends if your Agreement is periodic. You can be held liable until the Agreement would have been ended by giving proper notice. The Landlord can apply for a court order to make you pay what you owe. The court will decide whether you should have to pay your landlord the money or not. You should also be aware that by doing this it may affect any possible future Rentals as most Landlords will request a Reference and this would come from us.

What happens if I get locked out or lose my keys ?

This can happen to the best of us. We recommended that if you lose your keys you contact us to arrange to have the locks changed, this will be done at the Tenants expense. You could of course arrange this yourself, however you must give a copy of the key for the new lock to us a.s.a.p. If you have locked yourself out of the and only need to arrange for the door to be opened this can be done through us or an approved company, costs will occur for call outs. We would recommend Steron Locksmiths on 01429 234344.

Compare Listings

Title Price Status Type Area Purpose Bedrooms Bathrooms